5.20.2010

Connie Willis - Doomsday Book

I heard Connie Willis speak a few months back and enjoyed hearing her in person. She is a very nice and approachable writer. Being that she has won so many awards you kind of feel obligated to read what the fuss is about. Connie and Ursula Le Guin must be separated at birth. Two well known, female writers who seem to know the formula for winning science fiction awards.

Reading the Doomsday Book was interesting but I frankly just got frustrated with the story. The story was kind of obvious and the plot points that you knew were coming just seemed to be purposely delayed which drove me nuts. Then in the end I was hoping for a Crichton like finish and yet the finish was very tame. No flip, no ah hah moments, just an ending. The book was ok but just didn't do much for me.


No comments: