9.16.2010

Joe Kelly - I Kill Giants

I Kill Giants is one of the better trade paper backs that I have read in a really long time. This one ranks up there with my two favourites of all time which is the Dark Knight Returns and Elektra Assasin. Not really your typical superhero book this story is about a girl battling her own demons (or Giants). Powerful story that made me tearied eye when I finished it. As adults I think sometimes we forget what it is like battling Giants when you are a kid and then of course you age and you only realise there are more Giants in the adult world. Great story complemented with awesome art...pseudo manga style...that really keeps you reading to the very end.

Loved how she called her Giant Killer hammer the Coveleski...name for a 1908 left handed rookie who beat the NY Giants three times in one week. The reference is a bit wrong has he played for the Athletics not the Phillies and the Athletics were not in a Pennant race but the Giants and Cubs were and in 1908 the Giants finished a game behind Chicago...

Ultimately the story is about a child struggling with the inevitable death of a loved one. Her inner demons causing her to want to fight something she truly can't see. Powerful, thoughtful, and very sad story but it ends OK.

No comments: