3.13.2011

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

After reading this post, I ordered one of Mieville's books hoping to find another author who enthralls me like Murakami.  After muddling through Perdido Street Station I have to wonder if the author who posted the post has ever read anything by either author?  These two are totally not the same.  After going back to the post above and then reading the comments I have to whole heartily agree that Mieville couldn't come close to being as good an author as Murakami.

I mean I understand the post was more about how both author's write in extremes but Mieville's extremes are so strange that I have a hard time understanding the connection.  Murakami's extremes are often juxtaposed with characters that seem very real.  Mieville's characters don't seem real and thus the unreal situations just seem all the more crazy.

To be honest I didn't hate the book but I was disappointed with the comparison and if there had been no comparison the book might have played a little more honest with me.

No comments: