6.11.2011

Super 8

The perfect summer movie.  Perhaps it is nostalgia but wow what a great movie.  For once a movie actually lived up to the hype.  Hard to do when you start seeing ads almost a year before the movie was probably even filmed.  Lots of review I have read are hesitant to admit they liked the movie.  I don't understand why they don't admit that they enjoyed the movie?  I mean this movie is obviously a descendant of E.T. and a mash up with that classic and the Goonies.  I didn't go in wanting an Oscar worthy movie, I wanted to leave having enjoyed a couple of hours of escapism and an ode to my childhood.

Now granted when growing up I didn't have an alien running around in my backyard but I did have friends and we used to play pretend all day during the summer.  It was good stuff and watching these kids on the big screen made me feel young again.  Made me feel like the world was out there for the taking without having been beaten down by the woes of being an adult. 

An intelligent movie, decent plot, a reason to care for the characters, and of course plenty of Abrams token lens flares!  Heck of a movie thanks JJ for keeping the dream alive that a summer movie can be good without having been a sequel!

No comments: