9.14.2006

Comic Book Day

Well this will be a weekly installment (assuming I stop by the comic store that week). I have been a comic book reader for 20 years. Started with G.I. Joe but soon found myself immersed in the X books. X-Factor #9 was my first issue and it certainly is one reason the site is named the way it is. I do miss the old days. Writers and artists did seem to stay longer on titles...there was more continuity and stories weren't too convoluted. Today it seems stories go every which way, artists come and go, writer's move on. Continuity is a mess. I often have to go to wikepedia just to get a feel for what is going on. I think part of this is the reason comic books have become more adult. I do like what Ultimate Spiderman has done as far as self contained stories. I am a Marvel homer not that I haven't had DC moments but overall I stick with what I am most familar with...

Light week this week, just 2 books to review. The Escapist series has been an on and off again love affair. I loved the book by Michael Chabon. One reason comics appeal to me is that it is essentially an American creation much like baseball and jazz (my two other loves). This new Escapist series is fascinating in its set up. Brian K Vaughn is telling a story within a story. It is a compelling story line about a guy who buys the Escapist because of his father's love for the character and then gets his friends to help out so that he can republish the comic. As a publicity stunt, he has a friend dress up as the Escapist and then by chance the Escapist thrawts a burglery and thus becomes famous. Book 3 is a continuation of the growing love between the writer and artist captured by the love between the Escapist and Luna Moth. I am anxious to see where this all goes and whether this set up will continue...

I can't complain about the rivalry between Marvel and DC. I think ultimately it helps the industry create a better product. DC has certainly been the trend setter with Marvel trying to catch up. Unfortunately this to me has created a mess in the Marvel world. Trying to come up with a mega event to match its rival only messes up any continuity that Marvel is trying to create. I mean House of M, great concept but what did it really mean...really only 198 mutants? Who are they and what will it mean? and then BAM! we have Civil War and suddenly the House of M is pushed to the side and we have another new mess. I can only imagine what writers try to do in constructing their plots! But I digress! 52 is a great concept and I'm amazed they have kept up. I have read the book for almost 20 weeks, the first month was really good and reallly kept me interested but of late it has just lost me. The characters don't really mean much to me. (Booster Gold??...whatever!). I'm not really into the DC mythos so trying to figure out what these "B" characters are doing and where this is taking the DC universe just doesn't wow me. I gave into the hype that was "Identity Crisis" and came away cheatedI gave it a shot but I think'll I move on.

No comments: