6.03.2008

Piers Anthony - Spell for Chamaleon

High school redux for me at least. The Xanth novels were big fantasy novels back in the mid 80s. As a geek I read my fair share of fantasy stuff (Lord of the Rings, Belgariad, and Shannara) and well was always looking for that next big series. Xanth books could fall into this stuff but for some reason I never could get into the first book. I tried but maybe when you looked at the map (come on, all good fantasy books have a very detailed awe inspiring map that makes you feel like you are venturing there...heck I even tried to trace Frodo's journey!)and you simply see a picture of Florida then perhaps it doesn't really stimulate the imagination like you think it should. So anyway 20 years later was in the used book store and thought what the heck why not try to get through one just to see. Well I survived. The book was generally good although I don't know if I will go on to read the next 26 books or so or more? (Yikes!). The dry goofy humor got a bit old. The characters were good. I have always enjoyed Piers "Diary of a Space Tyrant" but they were more hardcore sci-fi. His wittiness on the Xanth book was kind of silly. Anyway perhaps I will read Book 2...we shall see

No comments: