11.20.2008

Books Change With Time?

As a book lover I obviously keep all the books that I found enjoyable at one time.  In high school I read a lot of Heinlein.  His book The Number of Beast was one of my favorites.  The underlying concept that there are 6 to the 6 to the 6 worlds out there and that every world is created when someone decides to write a story always fascinated me.  And it is funny that the two stories I always go back to is ERB Barsoom books and the Baum's Oz books are featured in this book.  Great serial novels taking a basic ideal and keeping the characters alive.  So having read some ERB lately I decided to revisit the book to see if it held up after all these years.  I figure it has been 20 years since I last read it and while I thought it was ok I sort of got bored with it about halfway through and pretty much skimmed the rest of it.  The whole part with L. Long I just couldn't remember.  Overall it just didn't speak to me like it once did.  Wonder how much that is the case with other books that I hold high esteem for?

No comments: