11.28.2008

This Month in Comics...?

Yup I am on some wacky comic schedule with all my books coming in on the same day!

Buffy #19
Last issue in the Fray crossover. Have to admit this wasn't all that interesting to me as I never read the Fray comic books so have no real buy in with the character and really not for sure why Buffy was there in the first place other than we get so sort of time traveling Willow redemption or something. All story lines can't be that great...







Flash #3
I have been totally impressed by the story and art on this book. Although obviously the character isn't new the viewpoint is and it shows that decent comics can be made even if they aren't from the Big Two (of course it is probably debatable if the Big Two are producing any quality comics. Secret Invasion had potential but got mired and really thudded to the ground by the last issue. Final Crisis and no one seems to care so again it is refreshing to read and see something new for a change.





Batman #681
OK so why does every big storyline in comics lead to the death of a main character. I am sick of this being the plot point to try and expand or start a comic in a new direction. Morrison's storyline was brilliant in some ways and just a carbon copy of former big event storytelling. Have all the good storylines been taken? I mean Batman having a broken back, great...the leveling of Gotham, good...killing him off, I just don't know. One complaint was even after reading the books, then getting online to get a Cliff Notes version of the RIP storyline, I still had to shake my head. The most shocking aspect was a complete revisionist history on who his parents were...that was good. Anyway, I like involved stories but with Morrison things just seem to get lost. Like the whole New X-men run, how did Zorn and Magneto become one? Perhaps 600 issues of continuity just bogs a writer down...

Daredevil #113
The Lady Bullseye saga continues. I think this story will need to gestate beyond this short introduction run. Not for sure if you can really add a new villain and get the bang that you are looking forward. Hopefully they can develop the character and not make it seem cheap. We shall see. 

No comments: