1.08.2009

Peter O'Donnell - Modesty Blaise

Okay not for sure where Modesty Blaise came into my hemisphere of thinking but I tracked down Book 1 and gave it a whirl.  It certainly didn't disappoint.  I was expecting a female version of James Bond and that is what I got, but I thought overall O'Donnell was a better writer than Fleming.  The story progressed better, it had the customary 50/60s cheesy sexism, but overall a good book.  I enjoy her Number 2 something Bond is missing and the back story was interesting.  The bad guy and his muscle were carbon copy of what you expect to see in a Bond movie.  Overall very good and now my problem is Book 2 seems to be a bit rare only able to find a paperback for $12 on alibris...girrrrrr

Oh yeah and in my continuation of the Greystoke mantra author Chuck Loridans in an essay posits that Modesty is the daughter of Tarzan and La of Opar.  See everything is connected in one way or another!

No comments: