11.19.2009

Hardy Boys - The Ghost at Skeleton Rock

My son had to do a book report on this book and we have a policy in the family to help out our kids by reading the book they choose. Well these aren't the Hardy Boys I remember...ha! Actually they are still Frank and Joe and I probably read this book when I was young. I even tried to read them all when I was younger but the similar plot points over time just got a bit boring...so I moved on to Tom Swift!

Anyway for a 6th grader I have to admit trying to summarize the plot points in this book was rather tough. Plot points seemed to have been stuck in after the fact just so that the book either met the magic page limit or a ghost editor wanted to make sure to confuse even the Hardy Boys. It made no sense and trying to summarize it in few paragraphs...yeah right. Unbelievable how all over the map this book takes you. Not only that, it might has well be a choose your own adventure book because the plot is so convoluted that I might think Franklin Dixon was a pen name for a bad Faulkner. And to think there were well over 80 of these books published back in the day.

No comments: