2.23.2010

Greg Rucka - Keeper

First in series of books about Atticus Kodiak. Kodiak is a professional bodyguard. Did some time in the military and is hired in this story to protect an abortion doctor and her daughter. The book was surprisingly intense. Not at all what I expected from Rucka. Of course the Rucka I had read previously was all female characters so this is the first male characterization. I thought the character was bit over the top stoic. So emotionless that it makes cardboard have character. I do like the Bridgett Logan character. Overall I am kind of on the fence with this book. I didn't hate it, it kept me involved, but in the end it was kind of dissatisfying. Of course the subject of abortion is kind of difficult to wrap a story around.

On page 156 though, Rucka does put the best thought on the difficult issue that is abortion and that is (told by Bridgett), "Men have been behind this thing from the start. It's always been a women's right to choose. That's obvious, and not the problem. That's not what it's about for the men. It's all about power over women. It's all about the fact that men believe they have the right to give women the choice in the first place." So true and to think Roe vs Wade was 9 old guys sitting on the bench making it a right to choose...

No comments: