4.02.2010

Don DeLillo - Cosmopolis

"Sleep failed him more often now, not once or twice a week but four times, five."

One of the more crazy reads that I have undertaken. Have to think the book spoke to me on the shelf. I was at Powell's in January...just meandering...had a list of things I was looking for but this book caught my eye. Always wondrous when that happens. I had heard of DeLillo, never read any of his books. This isn't one of his better books (so says Wikipedia) but I enjoyed it for its raw intensity. It bites you makes you aware because of its rawness. I found it kind of a cross between Copland and Palahniuk. Palahniuk for the rashness and Copland for some of the outlandish situations. I loved the main characters description of buying a Russian Blackjack bomber and then the description of how it would be fitting end to be entombed in the plane and have it crash in the desert.

In reading the reviews the book is kind of the author's take on Ulysses...the main character being driven to get his hair cut. It goes through his trials and tribulations. Meeting his wife, betting the farm on the Yen, getting stuck in traffic because of the President, being stuck in a riot, meeting numerous women, having discussions with his people, being in a movie, and finally getting that haircut. The ending is truly the ending has he meets up with his stalker. Decent read. Quote of the book, "To know and not to act is not to know" - Chinese Proverb

No comments: