6.27.2010

World Cup

My World Cup history is as follows:

In 2002, I helped my mom paint her house and watched it in the background and then in 2006 well it wasn't even in my consciousness. I do remember when the World Cup came to the US and that is the sum total of my thinking of soccer. This year for some reason the tipping point was reached and I watched it with passion. Perhaps because my kids play I have more interest? Either way it has been growing on me...

Enough has been written on the 2010 campaign. I don't have a lot more to say other than we still have a lot to grow as a soccer nation. It was neat we won our Group but watching other teams there is a definite difference between a World Cup qualifying team an a team with the potential to actually win the Cup. After watching the 4 US matches and then just spending 20 minutes watching either Argentina, Brazil, or Germany and there is a HUGE difference in the quality. Biggest thing I saw was no real scoring threat and a leaky defense. Finally NY Times had this graph in last week's Sunday Sports section (couldn't find it on the website) and I think it sums up the entire 2010 run for the US.

Bottom line the US led for all of 3 minutes in the 2010 World Cup.

My Haiku's for the Games:

USA vs Ghana (L 1-2)
Ghana better team
Support of whole Continent
Nice run for US

USA vs Algeria (W 1-0)
Whew! Last minute goal!
Soccer Gods one...refs zero
Donovan hero

USA vs Slovenia (Tie 2-2)
Refs stole our two points
So close, a game of inches
Heck of a comeback!

USA vs England (Tie 1-1)
A seesaw match
US defends second half
Thank England's Keeper!

No comments: