10.15.2010

Space 1999

Coming of age (actually starting to remember what I watch on TV) in the late 70s and early 80s there was one show on Sunday or maybe it was Friday night that I watched religiously. Face it I was the generation that was sandwiched between the original Star Trek and the Next Generation. The shows I remember most were Space 1999, Lost in Space (OK Saturday morning reruns...remember the show when the robot grew or maybe the crew shrunk and they traveled inside him?), Battlestar Galactica (remember the one where they saw a transmission of the moon landing?), and finally Star Blazers (that is probably a whole another post....).
Just recently I rented Season 1 just to relive some of those old memories. Wow amazing how your taste changes over time. While it was fun to watch some of the adventures of Moon Base Alpha sometimes the memories are better than the actual real thing. I should note that Season One did not contain the alien Maya so perhaps that was it. The thing that gets me is how trippy the show looked. Sci-Fi in the 70s is just frightening. Space 1999 is what you get when you cross 60s Star Trek with British TV production and a lot of LSD...

No comments: