10.30.2010

Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

What a beast of a book. This one languished on my shelf for some time. Partly because of its heft and partly because it takes some mental prodding to tackle a large book because you know you are going to be reading it for a while. When this came out, it won some awards and was lauded for the story. Without reading too much of the reviews, I generally thought I knew what I was getting into when I started to read it....And of course once into it, it was totally a different animal.
Overall the story started kind of slow. Thus it was difficult to get into it. I thought the footnotes were neat but when they continually showed up, the weight of this world that the author created started to bog down. It was an amazing thought out world. A parallel world to our own where sorcery (errr magic) was practiced. Kind of felt like I was reading Dickens. The characters were fantastic. Although the patience required to get to the real ride was trying at times the overall book was good and enjoyable...and to think when I started to read it I had just visited Yorkshire...what a coincidence!

No comments: