12.02.2011

Jeff Eugenisles - The Marriage Plot

As the second book I have received in the Powell's Indiespensable subscription book service that I started a few months back, this one marks the first book that I wouldn't read if it hadn't been sent to me.  It's a hefty, lofty book by a Pulitzer Prize winner that just screams to me, "Don't read me"

So pushing through I gave it a try.  A mandated desire to get through with it before I traveled (hey can't bring hardbacks on planes), I gave myself 9 days and 50 pages a night.  I finished it in 7 days so either it was good or I was reading machine.

To be honest it was actually pretty good.  I enjoyed more than the first Powell's book I got and it just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover (ha!).  Good characters (OK maybe just one of them was really good and the other two just frustrating) and a decent plot.  I always seem to fall for books that have a triangle love affair.  Parts of it made laugh, some made me cringe, and others just took me back to the 80s.  

In the end the mark of any good author is once you've done you are then interested in his previous books.  So there you have it

No comments: