12.26.2011

Jonathan Lethem - The Fortress of Solitude

I had thought this was my first Lethem book but I had forgotten that years ago I had read his first book, "Gun, with Occasional Music" years ago.  Few years back (2009) I went to a book signing for his latest book which I haven't gotten to read yet.  He is very much a New Yorker and his writing bleeds it.  Interesting that this book takes the superhero meme, much like what Chabon did with Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.  Overall great book.  Little raw in places and uncomfortable but I think that was the 70s and early 80s in New York City.  Not a fun place to grow up!




Page 54. Lethem makes a comment about his characters reading the following comics: Daredevil 77, Black Panther #4, Doctor Strange #12, and Incredible Hulk #115.  Looks like they came out in 1977ish although certainly not all at once...details, details...


Page 176.  "Parsecs measure space not time, some claim it's a mistake but I'm sure it's intentional, Han solo's pretending..."  Classic Star Wars line, first time I heard someone try to make sense of the comment, surprised Lucas didn't edit it in one of his many versions!

Page 274.  "Oh I don't know, I remember you always said you were going to buy x-men forever, unless Chris Claremont quit writing..."  Ooh that one hurts...hate to say it but Claremont was the X-men only Morrison had a slight bit of success since.

Page 368. "Well, Michael stipe was sucking from an oxygen tank after the show."  And I thought this was only a Denver thing...saw him a few years back and yup after every song Stipe was sucking on oxygen tank!

No comments: