10.31.2009

Book Signing - Jonathan Lethem

Ever go to a book signing with the ideal that hey this guy seems interesting; has put out some tantalizing books, but you know, you haven't quite gotten around to actually reading anything of his? I mean Fortress of Solitude reached out to me because of the comic book reference and you know I have stared at the book cover so often that sometimes I think I might have it or perhaps read it? Sit and listen to his reading and the guy still sounds great. Answers questions with real answers and generally seems happy that you came out. Well Mr Lethem fit this profile fully for me. I swear I had read something by him but alas nothing and then, and then, towards the end, when I was getting my book signed, a book at the very bottom of the shelf reached out and spoke to me...Gun, with Occasional Music...wwwwwait I have read this author. Almost 15 years ago I read this pseudo hard boil sci-fi mess of a book. I mean it was good, little weird, but then this is about the time I was reading Snow Crash by Stephenson which was a bit odd as well and perhaps that was reading agenda back then (?). Either way once the connection was made my brain settled down and was glad that I had spent the evening getting to know the author.

No comments: