10.18.2009

New York, New York



Went to the East Coast to see my grandmother and stopped in NY for a quick look see. Went to the MOMA (great museum...love Monet's water lilies although they changed the room and I miss the old room...lots of people surprised by how crowded it was), Time Square, top of the Empire State Building (102 floor...what a view...see above), dinner in Grand Central Station (love the ceiling, and then a quick stop by 30 Rock. Next day we stopped and ate at Katz Deli on the lower East Side. Been around since 1881 and had a great turkey sandwich. Lots of interesting people! Then swung by Ground Zero. My mom claims that has a child we went to the viewing deck in the tower but I have no recollection of it. It has been 8 years but it is amazing that the site is still a construction zone of some sort. Also amazing that two towers totally collapsed and yet the surrounding buildings are still there. Where did the material go? I miss the towers...the skyline looks empty without them. To me NY is always the Empire State building and then two towers on the tip of Manhattan. This was the first time being back in the city since I was a kid. It doesn't seem as big as I used to think it was but it is still sizable and still no fun to drive in. If I go back I am staying in the City...I will pay the extra!

Towers reach the sky
Majestic silent symbols
Your image remains

Skyline is empty
Memory fills in the blanks
Lost souls seek closure

No comments: