7.23.2012

Pat Conroy - South of Broad

Old Mister Conroy you never fail to disappoint.  Just when I need that Southern angst and beautifully written book you always deliver.  You have been delivering this for most of my life.  Having read Lords of Discipline in 80s, being probably the only individual ever to read the Great Santini during Army Jump School in the early 90s, and Beach Music in the 00s, you continue to wax poetic the ups and downs of being from the South.
 
South of Broad keeps the faith.   One has to wonder if you haven't taken a page from Hemingway and if we shouldn't throw out there a "Conroy Hero"  He has been a steady provider of self reflection, angst, dispair, love lost, and embattered for quite some time.  With each book I have to wonder if the archetype will continue or if a new page is turned?  In the end I love Conroy's use of words, I just wish that the characters could all be happy for once!

No comments: