8.17.2007

Clive Cussler - Trojan Odyssey

The 17th Dirk Pitt novel and I'm caught up...why caught up you ask...well last summer on vacation I read the 18th novel and suddenly Dirk had two kids and he was head of NUMA and yada yada yada. I had not read a Dirk Pitt book since Sahara so I had no ideal what was going on. In an effort to change that I went back and started reading the ones I missed so I could catch up. Well 16th novel introduces his long lost kids from way back in his first novel. The kids much like Clive's son seems to be taking over for the intrepid Dirk senior. With this one both Al and Dirk appear to be disappearing into the admin of NUMA and Dirk Jr and Summer start to take over. Especially surprising was Dirk's decision to finally get married! My question is when does Dirk finally bite it? My guess is he'll go done to save his kids and that will be Clive's final book. Or he'll sail off to sea never to be heard from again. Anyway as is the usual formula, Clive gives us a little history lesson. This one actually is pretty interesting. Based on a book, Where Troy Once Stood by Iman Wilkens, it lays out a theory that Troy was actually in England and that the Battle of Troy was fought over tin between warring Celtic tribes. Looking into it a bit further it seems plausible but I guess Greek historians aren't ready to take the leap on this one. Not for sure why...this could be a "In Search Of..." (bring back Nimoy, bring back the show!). Anyway this book is an above average Pitt adventure as well as Black Wind. Perhaps his son's influence is allowing for some better story telling as some of the teen books were a bit dry. Don't forget Uffington White Horse

No comments: