8.28.2007

Off The Wall Comics

I've been reading comics now for about 20 - 25 years and well I guess I've been a bit jaded lately. Kind of tired of the same old same. Looking for something out on a limb, something that catches my eye. Always a visual kind of reader, I've been attracted to both the story and the art. Problem with too many books today is that the artist and writer just don't connect. Comics is a visual whiteboard and I believe the essence of the medium. Anyway these three books have captured my eye (interesting that these three all come from Image, a company that practically destroyed the comic world because it took the art form to an extreme believing ((well us readers did clamor for it..)) that art was the form and writing was just a sidebar (((Youngbloods, WildCATS, Cyberforce, Spawn))). Looking back it was kind of a natural evolution...Marvel road the wave of great art (Lee, Silvestri, McFarland, and Liefield) but I think we forget that these artist also had great writer's and great characters (X-men, Spider-Man, and New Mutants ((errr not really))). So anyway these books are interesting...

Killing Girl
The art is catchy. The story has potential. Only one issue into this but love the vibrant colors...and a story that makes me want to read issue 2. Really that is all you can expect from a first issue. Too early to say if the story can carry it but it at least gets you off the shelf and into someones hands.














Repo

Kind of a hard boiled, in your face book. Caught this one at issue 3 so need to get the complete read. Art almost falls into the Aeon Flux category. This title sums up the book with an "edge" Good characters (kind of tarantino like, along with the dialogue) and well any character that has F*&k Y*u tattooed on her belly obviously means business.













Casanova

The most developed book of them all. This one has 8 issues in the bag. The artist get noticed in the entertainment weekly "it" issue so I tracked him down (artist is also working on the Umbrella Academy which I have mentioned in previous posts). I have the first 8 issues hard back collection and have been reading it. The first issue is great. Again great back story and good art. The art isn't that over the top superhero style rather it is underdeveloped, a bit rough that adds to the storytelling experience.

No comments: