12.02.2008

Philip Jose Farmer - Tarzan Lives

In my quest to read all things ERB I came across this book on one of the myriad webpages in search of more things ERB.  Up to this point John Carter has been my ERB obsession with not much attention paid to his more iconic figure...Tarzan aka Lord Greystoke.  Up until this point, I haven't really thought that much about the swinging loincloth clad hero.  Guess too many Saturday afternoon memories of a black and white TV show with goofy monkeys!  Anyway saw this book and decided to bone up on Tarzan.  It was actually a pretty good summary of what Tarzan has done in 24 or so books.  I had no ideal he chased Jane all the way to Wisconsin!  What was even more interest was the tracing of Tarzan through English "pulp" literature and tying Tarzan to Sherlock Holmes and Doc Savage (a la Alan Moore and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).  When I finish the Barsoom Adventures I imagine I will first read his short Venus series and then move on to Tarzan.  Boy there are alot of good fun books to read that are free!

No comments: