10.01.2006

Where'd Friday Go?



Well I missed a day...Friday got a bit busy as it was date night! Saw the Black Dahlia. Have to admit that I was not all that impressed. Scarlett was looking as good as ever. Recreating LA in the late 40s was also pretty good. The movie just seemed to try too hard. Characters were a bit stereo-typed and one dimensional. I'd probably say the book is probably better although I haven't read it.

Other things missed on Friday. Football spreads...

13 1/2 (AF) vs NMexico - Final score AF 24 - 7 although N Mexico did have a chance score a final TD (I was there...beautiful place to watch a football game...truly great atmosphere for normal college football)

16 (MU) vs CU - Final score 28 - 13 at least CU beat the spread that is about all they are going to do this year.

No Broncos football this week.

Where is Carmen Sandiego? Well I'm in the Windy City today. Taking a class taught by Edward Tufte (http://www.edwardtufte.com) Chicago is a nice city...this is the second time I've been here. The first that I actually had time to look around and check out the sites. Impressions:

Lake Michigan is a big lake!
Architecturally Great City!
Art Institute of Chicago!
Did't realize Soldier Field was right next to the Lake...boy it must get cold!

Check out Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate at Chicago's Millennium Park...Specatular and goofy all at the same time...what a lovely surprise.










Spent a whooping 45 minutes at the Art Institute of Chicago...can't say I was happy about it but I did see the sights! Unbelievable pedigree of art...Wow! There are so many well known pieces of art it is almost unfair for other art musuem's Unfortunately the one piece I wanted to see...Nighthawks by Hopper was on loan to the Whitney Musuem...other pieces of note Frank Lloyd Wright's stainglass windows, Katsushika Hokusai's The Great Wave off Kanagawa, Van Gogh's Self Portrait, Grant Wood's American Gothic, Caillebotte's Paris Street, Rainy Day, Magritte's Time Transfixed, and of course Seurat's Ferris Buehler's Cameron's favorite pic. Finnally my final piece from the institute...the Monet room was unbelievable...I have seen the Water Lilies at the Modern in NYC but this was quite impressive. Being able to compare 5 haystacks was awesome seeing London in many views great. Overall a great museum!

No comments: