1.16.2007

The New Yorker - Big Pictures by David Denby

Wow two interesting articles in the New Yorker last week. New Yorker is one of those magazines that actually write decent stuff almost every week but sometimes it is just a big effort to get through it in a week. The second article that I found interesting this past week was an article on movie business. As a big time lover of seeing films on the big screen I was fascinated by how the movie business operates. With the coming internet movie availability I believe that eventually the movie business will come to terms much like the music industry. Personally watching movies on an iPod is just not my thing...I get no pleasure watching a movie on such a small screen and downloading and moving such large files is just not convient. Some interesting facts:

The average cost of making a movie is $60 million and the average cost of marketing is $36 million.
Presently there are 38,000 screens in the US spread over 6,000 sites

No comments: