1.28.2007

Vicksburg



















Yes I know I disappeared...got busy while traveling...actually just tired! Anyway during my day off I traveled east to visit Vicksburg. Have been to quite a few Civil War battle sites. Vicksburg reminds me most of Gettysburg. It was amazing to me that after touring the site I made the reference that Vicksburg surrendered the day after the end of Gettysburg. Wow to think the war truly ended in 1863. Too bad Grant and Sherman had to truly take it to the South to finish them off. Overall the Vicksburg site is not much to see...lots of monuments...but for a seige not quite the grandeur of Gettysburg. The best part of the tour was the viewing of the USS Cairo. Don't hear too much about the Navy during the Civil War but the Navy was certainly involved with the Mississippi river. Fascinating study on a boat they lifted out of the water...great exhibit.

No comments: