2.28.2008

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Princess of Mars

Way back in 1987 I was first introduced to the Barsoom Series. The pulpiness of it all was fascinating. The book presentation was exciting and I gave a few a read. Never really got through them, it was kind of a high school whim and I had other things going on. With my eBook, I decided to revisit the series since all of the books are out of copyright protection and I can load them all up in my reader. Finished the first tale (first published in 1912 as a serial) and the book actually holds up pretty well after all these years. Our hero John Carter could be any modern day pulp hero (or comic book character), the heroine, Dejah Thoris, is a bit submissive (they don't seem to wear any clothes on Mars) but for the time this book was written she is a bit head strong. The adventure is good. A movie was supposed to be coming out featuring our hero but I guess it got stuck in development hell with Disney (?). Right about this time, back in high school (I believe before), I read Heinlein's Number of the Beast which I really enjoyed due to its underlying premise. This premise was that characters had developed a machine that would take them to different dimensions (or universes)and the number of dimensions (universes) was 6 raised to the 6 raised to the 6 (or the Number of the Beast). Furthermore every book, thought, or ideal generated by someone would actually populate on of these universes. So the characters who were named after the ERB characters actually then traveled to the real Barsoom using their device and then also showed up in other early 20th century writers (if I remember correctly, the World of Oz shows up). So anyway as I seem to do one thing begets another and then it seems to circle back. Funny how it seems things interconnect or is it because you are aware of the "connectiveness" of it and it only seems that way?

No comments: