2.05.2008

Michael Pollan - In Defense of Food

Fascinating book.  Basic premise behind it all is why is the Western Diet so bad for everyone?  With all the nutritionist, doctors, and press on what we should and shouldn't eat, why are we still all just fat!  Certainly an eye opener about the fact that the majority of the studies out there are being swayed by farmers trying to push their produce.  High fructose corn syrup I believe is in everything that we eat!  Check out the ingredient list sometime of even your most benign food and I'll bet you it is there.  A real eye opener and it really made me look at my daily intake.  Process food is easy but boy it is just empty calories.  Dealing with some metabolic issues (that is what the doctor diagnosed me with) makes me wonder that the food I've been eating isn't some of the underlying cause.  Way back when I did the body for life diet and I really felt it was a good but somewhat unrealistic. Protein is a real bear to get and one can eat only so much tuna and eggs!  Anyway I think this book is good to read each year just to remind you that you do have a choice in what you eat and that what you consume does matter!

No comments: