9.30.2008

Ed Viesturs - No Shortcuts to the Top

Impressive read. Amazing adventures. I think I have an adventurous soul but after reading this I don't have any real desire to climb any extremely high mountains. I think I would be content to say I've done Denali (although that ain't a piece of cake either from what I have heard). I guess to me the strangest part about these trips is the length of time you have to devote to just getting there and getting acclimated. I mean to disappear for 3 months to climb...that is crazy. Another thing that gets me is the sheer emotional detachment you develop when climbing. Altruism be damned. I mean coming to grips with death that seems all too likely really is just daunting. I give Ed credit for his audacity and courage. The detachment really comes through when describing the Everest fiasco back in 96. Realizing you are stuck on a mountain with no chance of rescue and just dying that way...yowser that ain't easy to deal with.

No comments: