9.02.2008

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Warlord of Mars

Quick turnaround on this one because of the cliffhanger in Book 2! Had to determine the status of the Princess! While reading this one, it seemed to me that some similarities with the Star Wars franchise existed. I mean the word "Sith" is mentioned a few times. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison? Anyhoo, the swashbuckling continues and you can tell that ERB probably meant this to be a nice trilogy (Book 4 I believe centers on his son and wife). All the colors of Mar's men are finally established and at the very end our hero is crowned warlord of the world! These books are the essence of sci-fi pulp. Just good fun. These books would make a great movie. I know Pixar is slated to go forth and make an animated film (which could be better) but a real life actress as the esteemed Dejah is just too much to pass up...think Leia's bikini for an entire movie!

No comments: