8.07.2009

John Hughes R.I.P

A true movie artist has passed on today. A huge part of my childhood was filled with Hughes imagery and imagination. Many of Fri/Sat afternoons friends and I would watch the Breakfast Club. Anytime Simple Minds comes on you have to think of high school detention! Then came Ferris which during my junior became somewhat an obsession and eventually formed the basis of a classic skip day with 3 really close friends. Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles didn't do too much for me but the love triangle of Some Kind of Wonderful really did it for my romantic side. I always remember the opening scene with her hitting drums...crazy cool! Back then not for sure if I had a bigger crush on Lea or Mary! Weird Science was fun but kind of silly. Finally the last really good movie I remember he did was Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. For anyone who travels a lot for business this movie is just too classic...too true, too true!

A true genius it is sad to see him go. Never has someone matched a movie to the music as well as he could. Amazing...

No comments: