12.08.2009

Song Memory - Desire

U2's Desire came out as a single back in November 1988. As the first single off of the Rattle and Hum album it was my first "I can't wait for the release" album. Every time the song plays I think of two things...my last high school cross country race and driving in the blue Nissan truck with my Dad.

Back in the day, during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the Kinney (now Foot Locker) Individual National Cross Country Championship qualifying race occurred in four venues throughout the country. The South regional meet was held in Charlotte every year. If you finished in the Top 8 you were then invited (all expense trip) to race in San Diego for the national meet. It was a good goal to shoot for. During my Junior year I had finished 11th so I was somewhat confident that I could make the top 8 in my senior year. The race course did not suit me very well. It was a relatively flat course that narrowed into a small trail. To get a good position one had to get out fast which was the complete opposite of how I had run all year. I ran okay but it wasn't my day and I finished 16th or so. It was a rather disappointing afternoon but on the way home we stopped for lunch and I picked up the single. So when I hear the song I think of Charlotte, NC, my last race, and the blue Nissan!

No comments: