8.06.2011

Haruki Murakami - The Elephant Vanishes

Another book of short stories by Murakami.  Much like his other volume of short stories I tend to think that his short story ability doesn't stand up to his longer novels.  He is such a big story kind of writer I think he has a hard time condensing things into a shorter realm.  Below are some of what I care to remember...

Of course it is hard to get into a book when the first story is just a chapter from The Wind Up Bird Chronicle (which up to this point is probably my second favorite novel by him).  

The Second Bakery Attack - Come on robbing a McD's for 30 Big Macs?  Really?

On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl... - Could you miss your soul mate?

Sleep - A typical creepy Murakami story, the Stephen King of Japan?

A Window - Probably my favorite in this collection

No comments: