10.18.2007

Artist Feature - Darwyn Cooke

Who is Darwyn Cooke...well obviously an artist. I like to lump him into the "Art Retro" style. He has a particular all his own type art which when looking at his work fits in very well. Best known for his "DC: The New Frontier" and his re-introduction of Catwoman and somewhat his Batman Ego series he is a no nonsense artist. I had seen his work, was drawn (pun intended) to his New Frontier series but other than that didn't know alot about him. While at the store I noticed "The Comics Journal" No 285, October 2007 and picked it up. It has a wonderful interview of Darwyn and my respect for his work both has an artist and writer grew immensely. First off is the fact that he is the total package. Seeing an artist write to his work his unbelievable. Standard package of a separate writer and artist sometimes clicks but often can lead to disastrous books when obviously they don't see eye to eye. Obviously Lee and Ditko had it and Claremont and Lee (and Bryne) and to be frank most artist just can't write (McFarlane). What also nice about him is his outspokenness...he doesn't hold back...he ripped Miller's DK2 and thinks the main stream companies are doing a horrible job promoting the industry (I agree). Comments included, "...don't see any long-term plan..." and "...abandoning print for the monthly product and using the Web for deliver system." Some interesting quotes and observations from someone who is kind of an outsider (having started in animation and hence the writing capability). Anyway like the look and the feel that this guy brings.



His most notable work as been his New Frontier series. To be honest I don't remember it coming out in single issues. When it got the absolute treatment it entered my sights. Had to dig deep to find the collected TPB. When I got them they did not disappoint. Some great writing and art. A lot of the characters were unknown to me and their interactions were strange but the overall book was intense . I really like the Hal Jordan angle (a great hero and history but I really have no ideal where to start on that one...I've tried, tough character to try and get to know). I like the Wonder Woman characterization and like how the JLA come in at the end. There are some terrific one page spreads with big art and ideals. Overall a great read and something for my permanent collection.

No comments: