12.06.2007

U2 - The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary


The greatest album ever...at least in my opinion. I believe every person has that one album that means something in their life. My guess is the album comes out when you are between 15 - 19 years old. It defines that period when music becomes your friend, when things are going good or bad it is something you can turn to, and it is a complete saga where every song means something. It writes itself to your brain so that when you hear a song it instantly transports you back to that period of your life. The Joshua Tree is that album for me...cut loose in the stores in February 1987, I had just turned 16 and was a sophomore in high school. I first heard the album on my way to a track meet, a friend had stopped off at the record store (yup still a record store back then) and purchased the cassette. On the drive, I listened to the album without much thought. Soon after the songs became standards on the radio and With or Without You became my first U2 song. I would turn the radio on just to hear the song. Later that summer I took a trip to Washington and Oregon and while in Eugene, Oregon I picked up the album and listened to it the entire trip. From the quiet opening buildup, to Edge's guitar riffs in With or Without You, to the politics of Bullet it became my all time favorite.

Album Listing:
1. Where The Streets Have No Name (I wanna run...)
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (I have climbed highest mountain...)
3. With Or Without You (See the stone set in your eyes...)
4. Bullet The Blue Sky (And he's peelin' off those dollar bills)
5. Running To Stand Still (See seven towers, but I only see one way out...)
6. Red Hill Mining Town (And we stooped so low, to reach so high)
7. In God's Country (Sleep comes like a drug in God's country)
8. Trip Through Your Wires (Still shakin', still in pain)
9. One Tree Hill (I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky)
10. Exit (He could see the stars shine, like nails in the night)
11. Mothers of the Disappeared
Pop references that I remember...Ross and Rachael walked off together for the first time with "With or Without You", personal favorite cover is Pet Shop Boys, "Where the Streets..."

No comments: