1.13.2008

Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass

Saw and loved the movie...so my thought was that the book would even be better, more fantastical...ughhhh what a slog through it became. Very disappointing. What I don't understand is that this was supposed to be a kid's book (?) and I just never got that. I mean the Harry Potter books have a kid element to it that adults can easily relate to but this one just seems too harsh, too dark to be a kid's book. Really not a lighthearted book but kind of sinister. I will finish the trilogy but it won't be a top priority.
I really thought all the religious stuff was way overblown, as usual...it only provides an outlet for a healthy dialogue about what it all means. If only people were open-minded about these things and instead of feeling attacked and backed into a corner with claws out, simply consider other viewpoints and move on. Does it really matter so much to you about what others think about something? Is it wrong to have different thoughts? Why take it personal, in the end what you think only really matters to you.

No comments: