3.20.2008

Modesty Blaise, Dakota North?

Reading the latest MAKE magazine, I ran across a section on Modesty Blaise (vaguely might have heard of her?), as she was first seen in a newsprint serial comic strip in England. Why does England always come up with these spy clandestine characters? A kind of female cross between James Bond and Emma Peel I was intrigued. Seems like a character that could be Tara Chase's grandmother! Will have to give a book a try and see what it is like...I guess you could call it a "pulp" phase! In other bizarre connections, I have had a fascination of an older Marvel character call Dakota North (I ran across her in the dollar bin back when I used to go to the DragonCon in Atlanta! That probably should have told me something...). A kind of detective she really has had no longstanding runs in the Marvel. She had very short 5 issue run back in 1986. Bendis has sort of brought her back as a side character but she really hasn't done too much. Perhaps someone will bring her back into the picture !

No comments: