7.03.2008

USS Constitution and USS Nautilus

Being an Air Force kind of guy I had to bite my tongue that I went and visited two Navy ships over my vacation! The USS Constitution is an institution so that was ok. Amazing to think that the ship is still in the Navy's fleet of ships. It is still manned by real naval personnel. She is being retrofitted at the moment, so no sailing. Good book ideal...use Old Ironsides to save the day...kind of a last resort

Next stop was the Nautilus. The world's first nuclear powered submarine. Fascinating tour as you got to go on board and get a first hand feel. I was bummed that they didn't show the reactor room and at least a replica of what the first reactor looked like. Also it would be curious to see what the medical records look like from that first crew. Nuclear navy was an amazing technical leap forward at the time and this ship was certainly an amazing engineering feat. Just being on it and getting the feel of the ship, I get the same awe inspiring of when I look at the Apollo project. To me in the late 50s and 60s the technological leaps that were made were simply amazing. Took some guts to get on some of the ships back in the day.

No comments: