3.02.2010

Nick Hornby - High Fidelity

This is my second Hornby book. This was a bit more accessible then Fever Pitch basically because with Fever Pitch I knew really nothing about English Soccer. Plus there is a bit of language barrier because although Brits speak English there are some terms that are just a bit different (you smoke a fag...). Plus this book was made into an Americanized movie version so throughout the book I am basically seeing John Cusack and trying to remember the movie!
I enjoyed the book but I hated the narrator. Which is really hard to do because he does male things...he makes lists, he has a collection, he owns his own store, he has two goofy friends, he is so essentially male which obviously I relate to but I don't think I could be friends with him, neither could I accept his version of maleness. I mean he basically whines throughout the book, tries to get his girl back, then whines some more when she comes back, and then just seems never to be happy about anything. He kind of his a loser and after reading it I just hoped to God that if there was ever a follow up book he found happiness with the girl that is giving him way too much!

No comments: