4.01.2008

Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle

A disclaimer - I have owned this book since June 16, 1994. It has been on my shelf for almost 14 years! Yikes, so it was like a fine wine just sitting on my shelf ready to be enjoyed. Granted I believe I tried to start this some time ago but couldn't get into it. So I gave it another try. Was it worth the wait?To be honest, no...I have read alot of PKD short stories and have always enjoyed the wackiness of it all. So having heard that this was his masterpiece I expected a good story with a heck of mindf@%k type ending. The story was good but the ending just kind flopped for me. I finished and it was a bit anti-climatic. I mean the characterization was good and the premise was good but overall it was just kind of blah. In the end I guess he held true with his favorite theme and that is just how you don't always know what universe you are truly in. The I Ching bit was neat too and I wonder if he truly used it to help him write this book.

No comments: