4.08.2008

Masusume Shirow - Appleseed Book 1

Came across the reissue that Dark Horse did recently which they combined the series and printed them in Japanese format (i.e right to left read).  The original series was released back in the late eighties.  I was in high school and loved the detailed art.  Shirow was my first taste of good manga and I anxiously awaited each release.  Back in the day I really just enjoyed the art and characters.  The story just never made sense or I choose not to really care.  I vaguely remembered it.  Since the reissues it has been easier to sit down and read a series (in this case Book 1) from cover to cover and actually "get" it.  Almost 20 years later I can actually sit down and enjoy what he wrote and get a feel for the direction Shirow was taking the book.  It was quite enjoyable the second time around!  It really hasn't aged and reads very well.  It was a fantastic series, too bad Shirow probably will never get around to finishing it!  The detailed work and mechanics of it all is just fascinating.  His machines are so detailed...it is really a beautiful book.

No comments: