7.17.2010

England Day 10

Day 10

Driving is easier. Don't listen to the annoying GPS. Some people claim they love their GPS voice. I find the British Woman's voice to be ghastly. Her directions are terrible and frankly if I had a real map I would shove it down her throat ;). I am not a fan of GPSing.

Visited a local comic book shop and it was quite nice. I have been surprised by overall quality of Britain's comic community. I did not know what to expect but availability and title quantity have met or exceeded any shop in the States. The hole in the wall I found today had a small back issue selection and lots of TPBs. I picked up one of Bryan O'Malley's first work, Lost at Sea, because unfortunately Book 6 doesn't arrive until Tuesday. Stores here close early so I don't know how I am going to find the last Scott Pilgrim book! Final note on the comic scene is that it is interesting that most of the actual comics are America based. I don't even know if a comic publisher is even available here. Lot of great writers have come from here but they seem to write for the Big Two. Interesting that something so American has found a home here in England.

For being in the land of pubs and what not I have certainly drank my fair share of Stella Artois! Go figure. The choices are either heavy British ales or piss color beers. Now if the pubs had ESPN and decent food I might be persuaded to go to one more often. I have not taken any advantage of any food options here. I have eaten in a lot basically because most restaurants seem kind of fancy and I hate eating alone. Seems to be a lot of Italian and India. I did eat at a Burrito place last night for dinner. The Brits don't understand shredded cheese or salsa. Pretty bland but it was interesting none the less. I think Brits think of India when they want spicy, not Mexican! I have found a decent pizza place though. Very Proto's like.

Tonight was the first night since I have been here that it was clear and I could see the moon and stars. Lots of rain. Amazing fact is again how light it stays. I went running at 9:30 and it was still dusk. I then headed out looking for beer at 10 PM and it was still pretty light. In my quest for a grocery store, the youngsters were once again out and about looking for a party. Women here are always to be found in large groups. I rarely ever see any men. I wonder exactly what these ladies do when they go clubbing? Tonight was interesting in that it was dress up night or something. One large gaggle of women were all dressed up in various Disney female characters! Very bizarre. In addition I understand where disco/pop/fusion comes from or why it exists and that is British dance clubs. Good golly I couldn't tell you one place in Denver where you could go dancing but here there seems to be bass pumping music everywhere!

Music here is definitely interesting. The music store I went to today was hopping. Tons of shoppers and yet the radio stations here are awful, absolutely awful. During my drive I can't find anything of interest. I ended up buying some CDs just so I have something to listen to! Although it should be noted that the other morning while driving on the cart path they call back roads, Sweet Home Alabama came on the radio and it actually made me smile and appreciate where I live (well appreciate that I live in the States, not Alabama particularly ;).

Guess the thing I miss the most is just the daily baseball grind. Obviously it is not background noise here and I find that discomforting. I enjoy the daily interference.

No comments: