12.27.2006

Classic Movies - At Least for Me! (Part 2)

Honorable Mention - Part 2



My first serious movie to hit the list. Not for sure what this movie does for me but when I first saw it, it really struck a nerve. Speilberg's second foray into a serious movie (I think this came after A Color Purple) and it follows a young boy captured by the Japanese during World War 2. Two scenes really made an impression and that was when the planes (P-51s I believe, although I didn't think they made it to the Pacific Theater??) and then at the end of the movie when the bright light is seen on the horizon indicating the end of the war. The soundtrack is beautiful and I am always amazed that the young boy was Christian Bale.


My father and I first watched this movie together. It was one of those wild rentals that you didn't know what to expect but gave it a shot becasue the cover art looked interesting. What a great movie. It wasn't until college that it turned into this cult film, "There can be only one!" But then the next film came out and it turned out to be awful and suddenly it wasn't so cultist and then all the back pedaling and a re-release and then the third one and then the TV show. Throw in the deleted scenes from the first one and it just took a life of its own. Great movie though, great concept, good fights, and great fight filming.







No comments: