12.17.2006

Star Trek Voyager

I know, I know...how can I possibly be rehashing an old worn out Star Trek franchise? Well I'm not a trekkie per se, I have seen Deana Troi in person at a California Space Convention (saw Luke Skywalker too!) but it's not a religion for me. I do remember when Star Trek The Next Generation came out and I remember how goofy that first season was when all the characters were trying to reinvent Star Trek and find that inner federation feeling. I grew with TNG and enjoy watching episodes...loved the holodeck and especially remember the episode when Riker met the jazz singer and fell in love. But I digress...so when Voyager came along (I wasn't a big fan of Deep Space 9) I really gave it a try. Again I survived the first season and did enjoy the characters but then I moved, the UPN thing started, didn't have UPN, and then only caught bits and pieces. Then I completely fell off the planet and missed Season 7. Well never thought much of it...did wonder how they made it back...and it wasn't until Netflix that I jumped in and had all 7 season 7 discs sent over about a 4 month period...Yikes. Decent season some loose ends closing up and then disc 7 magically arrives. I thought there'd be some lead up episodes some flashbacks, you know memory lane stuff but disc 7 is "Endgame". The last episode...done! Was a bit surprised did take the temporal plot and gave a pretty good ending. Loved the TNG ending, don't quite remember DS9's, but like Voyager...even started enjoying the characters by the end. Too bad that the franchise is in hibernation. It was a good run...will be interesting what they do when they bring it back in 20 years. How will the Federation change?

No comments: