3.19.2007

Douglas Coupland - Eleanor Rigby

Not for sure which book this is in Coupland's run but I've read most of his works. Microserfs is still my all time favorite but each book he has put together as had something decent. I have never felt like I wasted time giving his books a read. In fact when I think about it...his books are so uncanny at times that they often just stick with you. Just when I started to write and I was thinking of titles the odd stories all came back, girlfriend in a coma, all families are psychotic, miss wyoming...yikes. The thing about Coupland is his wacky characterizations and how they react with one another. I have noticed lately he also has been dealing with a lot of death...hmmmm. Any Eleanor Rigby is a good little story. Some good lines or concepts...see below:

"I also have another program that tell me my one thousandth birthday..."

"Where is the correct path?"

"What is God exists but he doesn't really like people very much?"

Two good characters and a wacky plot. The girl in the story is supposed to be really fat and plain but I never pictured her like that. Love the meteorite subplot. Enjoy how the son and the end all kind of wrapped up. Overall good read and I have to admit major marketing potential that wasn't used. In his book he had a character google "rome disco liz 1976 high school canada" Well I googled it and nothing Coupland related. I would have thought for sure there would be some link!

No comments: