7.24.2007

J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Well it's the end...no more to read...the saga complete. Heck of a last book...great conclusion to a very good series. Where does Harry rank? I have to admit I wasn't all that impress with Harry to begin with. The first couple of books were good but nothing really memorable. As things become darker for our wizard the stories get a bit edgier. Book 5 is where things really started for me and then ending of Book 6 cemented things for me. I normally don't run out and buy a book but for this one I wanted to discover the ending before I heard about it. This book has closure in a big way. The story is nicely wrapped and as the last page unfolds it is very satisfying how J.K. wraps things up. Did she cop out with the ending? I don't think so...she certainly could have gone darker but the wrap up twist is satisfying. More than Harry though, I think Rowling did a wonderful job with Snape. The character you love to hate gets the treatment he deserves. I found it interesting that Ron and Hermione don't get a final triumph that you would expect. I somehow wished the book ended about 60 pages earlier then it did. At this point with Harry seeing his loved ones (a tear welled up inside me) and his final confrontation I really thought it was a good place. I wonder how hard Rowling thought about continuing? Are there two endings...one for Rowling and one for the rest of us? I wonder....anyway great book. I am glad Harry is done. His character will go down as a magical one up there with Strider, Garet Jax, and Belgarion...for me at least.

No comments: