6.26.2007

Blade Runner - 25th Anniversary

From the opening sequence to the slow descent into what makes us "human" this is a true sci-fi masterpiece. Up there with 2001 and Close Encounters. I have to be honest, I wasn't old enough to see it in the theatres but the first time I saw it I was drawn into LA 2019! Although Harrison Ford hated this role and whines about it every time he gets the chance I think he did a fabulous job "replicating" what is to be human ;-). That is what makes the movie good and so true to P.K. Dick's vision (although trying to get through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was tough). Alot of his plots (Dick's) that get turned to movies forget about the underlying theme of alot of Dick's work and that is in the future how will you tell you're you?

Visually the movie is what I'm sure Gibson used as his mold for his cyberpunk novels. Rutger Hauer does a tremendous job and it is said that his soliloquy at the end was just made up during shooting..."Like tears in the rain..." Hard to believe this movie is 25 years old. Can't wait for the definitive DVD that is supposed to make its appearance. Can't wait to review this movie in 2019!

No comments: