5.02.2007

Author Feature - Michael Chabon

Michael Chabon is my featured author, as if I have had lots of featured artist! Ha! Chabon pronounced like Shea Stadium and Bon Jovi is a Pulitzer Prize winning author. I was first interested in the author when the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was published since it does have a comic book slant to it. The reason I bring him up now is that he has a new novel out, The Yiddish Policemen's Union and I recently heard an interview with him on XM. A very outspoken writer, not one who hides behind his work, and who in his own words wants to entertain us. His writing seems to mesh with my interests. He loves baseball, sherlock holmes, and comic books (gee throw in Jazz) and he has it all covered!


Unfortunately his choice of topics don't always seem to mesh with what "critics" think is real literature. As if anyone really cares about real literature. People read what people find entertaining. Can the two meet? In 50 - 100 years what authors will be remembered? Think Stephen King will be considered a "classic"? Chabon will always have is prize so for that he will be remembered. I enjoy his work although I think sometimes his stories wander. The whole bit of being stuck in Antartica in Amazing Adventures was a bit odd and strained. Summerland, although fun, was just all of over the place. Decent story but not a great story to begin Chabon on. His other books I have not read.



What I enjoy most about Chabon was how is moved the Escapist into the real comic book world. He got some great writers and artist to move this historical character and bring him back. Great stuff. Anyway for those of you inthe Denver area he will be speaking at the Tattered Cover downtown on May 17th. I hope to see him and be finished with his new book!

No comments: